Hardwood Floor Refinishing Service In McHenry, Illinois
Hardwood floors are a popular flooring choice for modern homes and one of best investments you can make when renovating. With a variety of choices in the market including domestic lumber, prefinished hardwood, and exotic hardwood flooring, there's a wide selection of styles to choose from. However like all things in a home, proper maintenance will be required to maintain the look of the hardwood flooring. Depending on how much foot traffic your floors get determines how often you need to refinish them. A small household with just two adults will not have to refinish them as often as a household with children and pets.
Regardless, refinishing wood floors is a good way to make sure keep their warm and comforting look. Some of the benefits of hardwood refinishing include:
- Reviving an old, gritty floor to look beautiful and almost new again.
- Reduce maintenance/replacement costs.
- Improve the aesthetic quality of the room while increasing the value of the property.
- Ability to change the appearance of the floor with simple finishes.
The Benefits of Professional Hardwood Floor Refinishing
While you can do this as a weekend DIY project, we recommend truly looking at the time, energy, and money that will be invested into refinishing floors. It can be overwhelming for the average homeowner, and the possibility for errors are greater when it is your first time refinishing floors.
When you work a professional flooring company like Complete Floor Coverings, we handle all the work including:
- Providing a full inspection of your floor from an experienced flooring expert.
- A detailed project scope with a timeframe and upfront cost to refinish the floor.
- Prepping the work area to prevent wood or dust from dirtying the rest of your home.
- Using professional flooring grade equipment and products.
The team at Complete Floor Coverings are experienced in refinishing wood floors, and making sure your floors look better than before. With over 30 years in the flooring industry, you'll have peace of mind knowing that we have your floors covered!
Our hardwood floor refinishing service area includes all of McHenry county and cities in southern Wisconsin. They include Algonquin, Cary, Crystal Lake, Fox Lake, Genoa City, Hebron, McHenry, Richmond, Twin Lakes, Volo, Wilmot, Wonderlake, and Woodstock.
The Refinishing Process
- Inspection - An estimator inspects your floors and takes measurements. They'll check the thickness of your flooring to make sure there’s enough solid wood for sanding. A solid hardwood floor can take up to a dozen complete sanding and refinish jobs during its lifespan.
- Sanding - The floors must be sanded down to bare wood. This involves progressively finer grit sandpaper to produce a smoother surface.
- Applying Filler - Often we can repair deep gouges, scratches, and other imperfections in wood with fillers.
- Staining The Wood Floor - You can leave your floor natural, but if you're looking for a certain color or tone, staining is required.
- Coating The Hardwood Floor - A few of the popular options include water-based finishes, polyurethane finishes, and acid-cured finishes. To see a comprehensive list of finishes and their benefits, view the guide to hardwood floor finishes from Houselogic.
Hardwood Refinishing Frequently Asked Questions
is it possible to stay at home while my hardwood floors are being refinished?
It is possible to stay at home while the floors are being refinished. The finishes do emit an odor, which some people find too strong and unpleasant. Generally, opening all available windows will help air out the room. However, the floors cannot be walked on while drying. If the room cannot be avoided we suggest you find an alternate place to stay during the process. If this is the case, we'll advise you before we began work on your floors.
Will my home be dusty during the refinishing?
Our machines have bags that collect most of the dust, but there will need to be some clean up after we finish. We make sure to seal off the room being worked on to prevent dust from traveling around your home. This is accomplished by hanging plastic to section off the room, and vacuuming the floor after sanding.
How often should I refinish my hardwood floors and how many times can my floor be sanded?
A hardwood floor can typically undergo about ten refinishes before the floor is compromised. The average floor will need to be refinished about every 12 years, depending on the wear and tear your floor sees with daily traffic. Sometimes a buff and coat will be sufficient enough to restore some shine to your floor.
After my floors are refinished, how long should I wait before walking on or placing furniture on them?
Typically, 24 hours after the last coat is applied your floors should be dry enough to walk on and place furniture on. Even though the floors are dry, it will take a few days for it to fully cure.